26 August 2012

brokenness

as Henri Nouwen writes, "There are many things I would like to say about brokenness....Perhaps the simplest beginning would be to say that our brokenness reveals something about who we are.  Our offerings and pains are not simply bothersome interruptions of our lives; rather, they touch us in our uniqueness and our most intimate individuality."  (Henri Nouwen, Life of the Beloved, p. 87)

This book continues to enter into my life at the most dire or, in contrast, during the most joyous of occasions.

I first was introduced to this book by my dear and special friend, Candi, at a time when I was entering a very dark depression.  I pushed the recommendation aside, as I did my sadness and the quiet whispers of God that "I am loved" and that I was of value.

Ironically, I asked my parents for the book for my 22nd birthday.  The irony was that my relationship with my parents was causing me a tremendous amount of pain and that my parents were having a really difficult time understanding my depression (as was I, for that matter!).  I don't think they'll ever realize how simple of a gift this purchase was, yet how meaningful and necessary it was to make a step towards healing in my own life.

Again, I am reading this book as I grieve the loss of a friendship.  Both my friend and I are broken people, yet our differences have made it to painful to continue on as friends.  My prayer is that we both become more aware of our brokenness, our individuality, our inner selves as we move forward and look back at our friendship.

Oh Lord, blessed are the poor in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment